Tatkal railway tickets are inevitable for very last minute or instant plans. It is the most preferred method of booking tickets for travelling via train. Tatkal Booking begins one day before (reduced from 2 days) exclusive of the day of journey, e.g., for a journey on third of any month, bookings would open at 10 am on second; though the day of journey is definite as the day of chart preparation. For that reason, if the train begins on the 3rd day of any month, and reaches the preferred boarding station on fourth, the Tatkal booking will begin on second and not on third. Also learn about IRCTC Registration procedure here.
The Tatkal Ticket Booking Charges has been fixed as a ratio of fare at the rate of 10% of indispensable fare for second class and 30% of indispensable fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum charges.
Tatkal railways tickets are booked by using the government website IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation), or through an agent. Indeed, as per the recent research done by a reputed organization, IRCTC is the top travel e-commerce site in India with the maximum transaction share in the travel group. Presently, it is supposed to sell approximately 40-45,000 Tatkal train tickets between 10 am and 11 am (its 10 and 11, as all tickets are traded in one hour – actually, 45 mins), which it plans to increase up to 60-65,000 by using its new Rs. 10 crore drive for improved and upgraded servers to 64GB RAM.
There are definite things that must be remembered when booking a Tatkal ticket like as there will be a large number of people attempting to book the tickets very last minute. Thus, one must keep their browsers open before the Tatkal ticket timing begins (10 am) in order to get access to the IRCTC website. The IRCTC will be the most slothful and slowest at this time and persistence is key. Other than this, some other specific pointers are – there will be an additional charge on the tickets, an identity evidence is must when booking Tatkal tickets (like voter photo ID card/PAN card released by the Income Tax Department/student ID card released by the college or institution/UID Number or Aadhar card, etc.). One must keep in mind that only limited number of seats can be booked by this process.
Overall, Tatkal ticket booking for travelling via train is the most suitable method to book tickets for the very last minute travelers.
The Tatkaal ticket system is an “Indian Railways Scheme” for making journey at very short notice. Railway Minister Nitish Kumar had brought in this plan for travelling in all types of reserved class in almost all the Indian express trains. There are two methods to book these types of tickets. One is the offline that involves you to go to the ticket counter for getting it booked and the second is the online method. People get irctc signup,and are responsive with the method to book these types of tickets, but there are questions coming out like how Tatkal tickets can be cancelled. So, this can be done by following the methods that are discussed here.
Read: Irctc signin Process
How to Cancel Tatkal Ticket
- It can be cancelled from the counter
There is a ticket counter made on each railway station. There is also a reservation window near this counter, which is opened every day from 10 am for AC class and from 11am for non AC class. You can simply go to this ticket counter with your ticket for getting it cancelled and they will terminate it for you.
- You can negotiate on the name of refunds
If you are considering that you will get all your money refunded by cancelling your tatkaal ticket, then you might be mistaken this time. Indian railways give you a 50% refund if you cancel your ticket more than one day before your journey begins.
- Waiting list will move when non-tatkaal ticket Holders cancel as well
Waiting list will move when non-tatkaal ticket holders cancel as well. If you still have any doubts/ issues linked with the ticket cancellation or refund, all your words are always welcome on reservation window or the inquiry counter. Railway staff is always prepared to help you with these things.
- No claims or guarantee for confirmed tatkaal tickets
If your are having a confirmed ticket, this might make it unfeasible to get you a refund. You can still terminate it if you have delayed your journey. You should go through the terms and conditions provided by the railways for tatkaal ticket sewa prior booking any journey if you are not in favor of this as a confirmed ticket means a seat kept for you. Railways have to ensure some formalities and therefore they cannot refund your money for a confirmed ticket.
- Use IRCTC helpline
Indian Railways has provided a particular toll-free helpline number for this purpose. If you find any problem in cancellation of your tatkaal train ticket, you can just call 1800-111-139. Calling this number will not cost you a single penny and the railway executive who replies your call can be asked queries related with tatkaal ticket cancellation and refunds from your side if you are uncertain about anything regarding it.
IRCTC Train Ticket Cancellation Charges and Refunds Rules
We hope you find the above methods helpful if you need to cancel your tatkaal railway tickets.
The reservation for tatkal ticket scheme opens at 10am on the day before journey from train starting station for AC classes while for non-AC classes it starts at 11am on the day before journey from train starting station.
GNWL or General waiting list is preferred over tatkal waiting list (CKWL) at the time of chart making as per the Indian railway circular. Therefore, Tatkal ticket booking is of greatest importance as waiting list tatkal ticket has very less probabilities of confirmation and tatkal tickets do not undergo RAC. We all need to know about tatkal ticket booking timing. To book tatkal ticket online you need to get IRCTC Registration.
Here are some tips that will help you in booking tickets in tatkal quota via IRCTC website:
- Create more than one account for logging into IRCTC website. If you have only one login ID, then make use of one from your friend or family. Attempting to book ticket parallel using several browser/computer always improves chances of getting a tatkal train ticket. Do not use same login information on many browsers at the same time as IRCTC can notice it and log you out from all web sessions.
- Ensure tatkal quota for your travel opens one day before your journey. It might open two or more days before, if the train arrives at your boarding station on second or more days of its operation. For instance, if you want to book tatkal railway ticket from Nagpur to Chennai in Chennai Rajdhani Express, then the tatkal booking opens two days before in this case from your travel date as the train arrives Nagpur on the second day of its running.
- Keep Id card information like PAN card or driving license of one of the passengers in advance. By doing this, you do not have to look for it after you have begun the booking procedure.
- You can save some time by filling up passenger details in advance. Enter passenger details before 10am for AC class and before 11am for non AC class, you are required not to enter them again and save some time this way which enhances your chance of getting confirmed tatkal ticket.
Below, How Tatkal Ticket Booking is done on IRCTC
1. Login into the IRCTC website 5-10 minutes before and do this before 10am for booking AC ticket and 11am for non-AC ticket.
2. Choose origin place, select date as today’s date and fill up ticket type and click on ‘Find Trains‘. Now choose quota as “Tatkal” and click on “book now” for today’s date for any passenger train.
3. Fill up passenger details involving id card details and mobile phone number. Now, as an alternative of clicking on “Next“, which will take you to payment, then click on “Replan”, which takes again to the “Plan My Journey” page.
4. Precisely at 10am or at 11am (for FC, SL and 2S) put your exact journey date and try booking your ticket. When you reach at Passenger Details page, you will notice that all the details that you filled up before are still there. So, just fill up the captcha and click on the “Next” button for payment confirmation.
- For AC classes, try to book in 2A (second ac) initially. For almost every route, 2A gets filled less speedily than 3A in spite of fewer berths.
- Ignore trying to book train tickets for which tatkal tickets have already worn out. Keep finding out parallel current berth accessibility for tatkal quota.
- Make payment through netbanking as this is the quickest mode of payment. If you select paying by cards you are required to fill up long card numbers and various other details that take time. Since IRCTC has made OTP confirmation obligatory so one should keep their mobile phone nearby to get OTP code from phone.
- If you are not capable of booking tatkal ticket for AC classes, you can try your luck for non-AC classes at 11am once more.
So, you can book Irctc Tatkal Ticket Booking Online on IRCTC website.